An insightful editorial on the new European Register for Multiple Sclerosis (EUReMS), which aims to collect comparable and reliable data on MS across the EU.
- EUReMS was launched on July 1, 2011
- The first forum to discuss the project will be held at the ECTRIMS meeting in Amsterdam in October.
- An estimated 2·5 million people have MS, and about a quarter of them live in Europe.
- The European MS Platform (EMSP), an umbrella organisation for MS societies from 34 countries, is coordinating EUReMS as a multidisciplinary partnership of clinicians, researchers, and patient groups.
- The European Commission has provided ~€1 million to take EUReMS forward over the next 3 years.
- By June, 2014, EUReMS aims to have agreed on a core set of data for collection and to have gathered this information from national registries in 10 countries.