I am getting a continuous stream of questions about MS and COVID-19 infection. The following is an example of the kind of questions that are being asked.
- Does MS increase my chance of getting COVID-19 infection?
- Does MS increase my chance of getting severe COVID-19 infection?
- Does COVID-19 cause MS to relapse?
- Should I self-isolate because I have MS?
- Should I stop my DMT if I become infected with COVID-19?
- Can you recommend a good source of information to keep me updated on COVID-19 infection and MS?
- Should I avoid attending my hospital appointments?
- What about my blood/urine monitoring; should I suspend monitoring during the epidemic?
- Are there any people with MS who have had COVID-19 infection?
- What is a safe lymphocyte count?
- Am I at increased risk because I am on DMT x, y or z?
We are providing answers piecemeal and I get a sense we need to collate them somewhere.
Do you think we should collate these questions into a separate COVID-19 microsite, blog post or blog page? What is the most accessible and searchable format for people with MS? I am aware that a blog creates problems.
Post-script – 18 March 2020
In response to the demand, I am in the process of creating additional pages to our microsite MS-SELFIE, which refers to MS self-management. The Q&A will be in the form of typical questions and anonymised real-life case scenarios. I think the latter is very important in illustrating the subtleties and complexities of clinical practice.