A few years ago I came up with the term of mushroom food to reflect SH1 from Bulls to say that what was written was probably not correct.
This morning someone posted a web site which states:
“COMPLETELY OVERCOMING AND GETTING RID OF MS IS POSSIBLE NOW“
They aim to sell you mushroom extract and other things….a mix of loads of differnt herbs including maca root. Is this some weird thing from the McCartney range:-)
They ask you to pay nearly $1,000. They say the package can be got through Amazon,
“A permanent solution, no more lesions and spots and scans, natural..vegan”
“Done! You are now free of MS”…No! You are now free of $1,000
Buyer beware……You have to ask where is the evidence and read it. A few testimonials is not evidence!
“Success rate is over 90%, the rest 10% is with patients who do not take the recommended daily dosage and do not follow the instructions. So for patients taking the supplements as instructed, success rate is 100%”.
I am not giving you the link in case you have a shopping addiction, if you want to donate $1000 to us you can!
In the UK, I would be sending the link to the Office of Fair Trading..If there is such a thing in the States the Claims should be investigated……Luckily for our Spainish Readers apparently they won’t send to Spain.
P.S. We all take supplements. Sid will say mine is Real Ale, ProfG and his vitamin D for example, I spent £1.99 buying some from the supermarket last week (Vitamin D or Real Ale?) and I have some multi-vitamins on the shelf. I’m sure some of you rattle with the number of things you are taking. Do it with you eyes open and do not expect miracles….If you do you will be disapointed and ripped off.
Hopefully this is vague enough, so I dont get sued.
Whilst we are on the issue of snake oil…..here is a review of the current state of play with microbiome studies:-), it is open access so you can have a read and maybe you can see it (research) is different from simply making the result up?
Blais LL, Montgomery TL, Amiel E, Deming PB, Krementsov DN. Probiotic and commensal gut microbial therapies in multiple sclerosis and its animal models: a comprehensive review. Gut Microbes. 2021 Jan-Dec;13(1):1943289. doi: 10.1080/19490976.2021.1943289. PMID: 34264791. “a number of other therapies were hindered by limited evidence of replicable findings and other criteria, which need to be addressed by future studies in order to harness gut microbial therapies to ultimately provide cheaper, safer, and more durable treatments for MS”
PPS….By the time these studies are complete, maybe cladribine and fingolimod will be long out of patent , they will be cheaper than a pot of garlic granules, a bit of honey and some multi-vitamins. Do we need lots of little studies that give hope but prove nothing or more definative studies that put the answer to bed one way or the other.
Are we ready for those studies?
General Disclaimer: Please note that the opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the positions of the Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry nor Barts Health NHS Trust and are not meant to be interpreted as personal clinical advice.